A certified postpartum doula is a caring and experienced person who is professionally trained to assist families as they welcome a new baby into their lives. A postpartum doula understands the challenges which parents may face following the addition of a new baby and their priority is to nurture the postpartum family by offering physical and emotional support in order to make the transitional period as smooth as possible. The doula recognizes the needs of the entire postpartum family and implements them in ways that accommodate each family member so that they can feel included, prepared and confident during the postpartum period and beyond.
Those who experience postpartum support from doulas may have:
* Increased self-confidence, baby-soothing skills and better coping skills
* Decreased likelihood of suffering from postpartum depression
* Increased bonding and improved communication with their infant
* Increased success with breastfeeding
* Greater feelings of support between the parents, which also positively impacts their perception of the postpartum experience
* Timely referrals to a variety of resources such as support groups and services
* Increased feeling of preparedness due to having a greater education on what to expect from a newborn along with an easier overall transition to parenthood
Parents who receive caring support are more successful with adapting to parenthood and developing feelings of security during the postpartum period. In addition, siblings and other involved family members may also experience increased confidence, increased bonding and improved communication.
Basic Postpartum Doula Package
- Complementary consultation (answering questions about myself and doulas in general)
- emotional and moral support
- breastfeeding assistance
- teaching “baby basics”
- childcare while parents nap
- feeding of pets
- plant care
- light housekeeping
- answering telephones and taking messages
- resource referrals
Fee: $30/h for a minimum of 6 hours.
Please note: a non-refundable deposit of $90.00 is due upon the signing of this contract.